Common Ground Queensland will adhere to the Department of Housing and Public Works (DHPW) Social Housing Eligibility Criteria and Allocations Policy: Supportive Housing Program (Common Ground) in its response to applicants for housing. There are criteria which must be satisfied in the following areas:
- Australian citizenship or residency;
- Queensland residency;
- Property ownership;
- Liquid assets;
- Independent income;
- Housing income limits; and
- Appropriateness of current housing.
Common Ground Queensland has a vision to end homelessness in the communities in which we operate. Our supportive housing philosophy is “The integration of housing, support services and the community to assist people who have experienced homelessness”. As such, our eligibility criteria includes:
- Any person who is chronically homeless (either rough sleeping greater than 6 months or chronically homeless greater than 2 years), and
- Any person on low to moderate income who accepts the supportive housing philosophy and would contribute to the success of a Common Ground Queensland property.
Chronic Homeless Target Group
Applicants in the chronic homeless target group must meet the Social Housing Eligibility Criteria and have an approved application for housing assistance on the housing register.
Low to Moderate Income Target Group
Applicants in the low to moderate income target group with a focus on working and who have a connection to the local area will fall into two categories:
- Low to moderate income with a social housing application – applicants will meet the Social Housing Eligibility Criteria and have an approved application for housing assistance on the housing register in any segment; and
- Low to moderate income without a social housing application – applicants must meet all aspects of the Social Housing Eligibility Criteria, except the household income limit criteria and the appropriateness of current housing criteria. Applicants need to comply with the income limits for the National Rental Affordability Scheme Entry as published by the Australian Government. After people are housed by Common Ground Queensland, continuing eligibility of tenants is assessed on an on-going basis. The Ongoing Eligibility Criteria outlined in the DHPW Social Housing Tenancy Management Policy1 is used in these assessments.
This Eligibility Policy will be amended as required when an assistance agreement is entered into with the DHPW so as to satisfy any specific eligibility criteria of that agreement.
Procedures that Implement
This policy will be actively implemented by adherence to the following procedures:
- Allocations Policy: Operational policy and procedures for registered housing providers of the Supportive Housing Program (Common Ground) (DHPW)1
- Referrals Procedure
- Social Housing Eligibility Criteria (DHPW)1
- Social Housing Tenancy Management Policy (DHPW)1
- Tenancy Management (Residential) Procedure
- Tenant Selection Procedure
- Tenant Transfer Procedure
¹ Available on the DHPW website.