Common Ground Queensland acknowledges the role of pets in our society and the integral part that they may play in a tenant’s life. Common Ground Queensland supports tenants to keep pets that are appropriate for high density living when the tenant is, or has the potential to be a responsible pet owner and have the resources to own a pet.
In implementing this policy, Common Ground Queensland abides by the following guidelines:
- The keeping of pets in Brisbane Common Ground complies with local government (council) by-laws;
- The decision to approve the keeping of a pet is at the discretion of Common Ground Queensland and can be withdrawn at any time if there is a breach to the tenant’s General Tenancy Agreement (RTA Form 18a) relating to the pet and the Terms and Conditions outlined in the Pet Application Form;
- A tenant must apply to Common Ground Queensland for approval to keep a pet;
- The number of cats and/or dogs is restricted to one per unit. Smaller pets in cages and tanks are to be assessed on individual applications;
- The pet must not interfere with the reasonable peace, comfort and privacy of neighbours;
- If the application is for a dog or cat, the applicant must provide a Veterinarian Certificate confirming the pet is de-sexed. If the animal is too young to be de-sexed at the time of application, approval may be given subject to confirmation of the de-sexing at a date no later than seven months of age for a dog and three months of age for a cat. Smaller pets, in cages or tanks are to be assessed on individual applications;
- Proof of up to date vaccinations for dogs and cats must be available at the time of application;
- If the pet is approved, the tenant must provide a photo of the pet, details of an emergency carer and the Veterinarian’s name and contact information as set out in the Pet Application Form; and
- Brisbane Common Ground does not accommodate visitor’s pets.
Procedures that Implement
This policy will be actively implemented by adherence to the following procedures:
- Pet Procedure
- Tenancy Management (Residential) Procedure